Friday 11 January 2013

EXPLANATION OF WISH+ SIMPLE PAST


Wish + Past simple

We use Wish  with Past Simple to say we would like things to be different in the present.
Affirmative
 
 I wish ( that) I  was/ were more confident . (I'm not confident enough)
I wish (that) I could make my own decisions ( I can't make my own decisions)
Lara wishes ( that) she spent more time in the UK. ( Lara doesn't spend enough time in the UK)
 
Negative
 
I wish ( that)  I wasn't / weren't so indecisive ( I'm very/ really indecisive)
I wish (that) I didn't have to ask my parents for everything. ( I have to ask my parents for everything)
Lara wishes ( that) her parents didn't make all the decisions for her. ( Lara's parents make all the decisions for her)
 
we can use Was  or Were after wish, but were can be more formal

No comments:

Post a Comment