Friday 11 January 2013

EXPLANATION OF INDIRECT QUESTIONS


Indirect questions in English

If you want to ask a question that is quite sensitive, try using one of the indirect phrases below:

Can you tell me…
Could you tell me…
I'd be interested to hear…
I'd like to know…
Would you mind telling me…

These questions are followed by either about, a "wh word" or if. Then you add the subject, then the sentence.
You don't need an 'auxiliary', such as 'do', 'does', 'did', or 'can'.

"Can you tell me what you like most about your present job?" Not "Can you tell me what do you like?"
"I'd be interested to hear about your experiences."
"Would you mind telling me if you have applied for a similar position before?"

Note - when you're asking an indirect question there's no change in word order.

No comments:

Post a Comment