Wednesday 9 January 2013

EXPLANATION OF FUTURE FORMS: BE GOING TO, WILL, PRESENT CONTINUOUS


There is no one 'future tense' in English. There are 4 future forms. 

BE GOING TO: PLAN
We use 'going to' when we want to talk about a plan for the future.
  • I'm going to see him later today.
  • They're going to launch it next month.
  • We're going to have lunch first.
  • She's going to see what she can do.
  • I'm not going to talk for very long.
Notice that this plan does not have to be for the near future.
  • When I retire I'm going to go back to Barbados to live.
  • In ten years time, I'm going to be boss of my own successful company.
We use 'going to' when we want to make a prediction based on evidence we can see now.
  • Look out! That cup is going to fall off.
  • Look at those black clouds. It's going to rain soon.
  • These figures are really bad. We're going to make a loss.
  • You look very tired. You're going to need to stop soon.
We can replace 'going to go' by 'going'.
  • I'm going out later.
  • She's going to the exhibition tomorrow.
 WILL: PREDICTIONS / SPONTANEOUS DECISION

We can use 'will' to talk about future events we believe to be certain.
  • The sun will rise over there tomorrow morning.
  • Next year, I'll be 50.
  • That plane will be late. It always is.
  • There won't be any snow. I'm certain. It's too warm.
Often we add 'perhaps', 'maybe', 'probably', 'possibly' to make the belief less certain.
  • I'll probably come back later.
  • He'll possibly find out when he sees Jenny.
  • Maybe it will be OK.
  • Perhaps we'll meet again some day.
We often use 'will' with 'I think' or 'I hope'.
  • I think I'll go to bed now.
  • I think she'll do well in the job.
  • I hope you'll enjoy your stay.
  • I hope you won't make too much noise.
We use 'will' at the moment we make a new decision or plan. The thought has just come into our head.
  • Bye. I'll phone you when I get there.
  • I'll answer that.
  • I'll go.
  • I won't tell him. I promise.
 PRESENT CONTINUOUS: ARRANGEMENTS


We use the present continuous to talk about things that we have already arranged to do in the future.
  • I've got my ticket. I'm leaving on Thursday.
  • I'm seeing Julie at 5 and then I'm having dinner with Simon.
  • He's picking me up at the airport.
  • The company is giving everyone a bonus for Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment